It was the most memorable SSB interview Moment of my life


It was raining that day and we were about to leave back to home from the academy for term end break. Instead of heading directly towards our respective cities we made a plan to visit Goa. We already had packed our luggage in advance. 




This was the second time we were going to spend our break without being draped in the uniform of which I was really a admirer. Seeing Aashish Sharma engraved in my name plate has always made me feel proud. 

I had successfully completed one year training in National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla. During this period I lived one of the best days of my life. I was filled with arrogance when everyone was congratulating me on my Facebook status for completing 1 year in the academy. But that feeling was temporary. 




I returned back to the academy with my course mate friends after the break and from the same day we became extremely busy due to the hectic schedule. In the third term I got injured during the training. After treatment in Military Hospital the doctor prescribed me rest for atleast 15 months in order to get recovered completely. Seeing the question of my fitness after my recovery I was left with no option and thus I was told to resign. After all the documentation work my admission was cancelled and I was awarded a certificate stating that Aashish Sharma has successfully completed one year of training in the prestigious academy. That certificate was vague for me. I was broken. All my proud vanished when I realized I won't be returning the academy again.

It took me more than 18 months to recover completely and after that I started working in a startup. Meanwhile, I also joined a correspondence degree course. I managed to get a good percentage in the graduation. When I became eligible I decided to apply for Air Force Common Aptitude Test (AFCAT) and Combined Defence Services Examination (CDSE). I failed in CDSE but marginally qualified in AFCAT. I selected my AFSB date in the first batch itself. I was conference out. The whole interview went on the question - why did I leave NDA? I applied again for both the exam and  failed to clear both of them. I felt ashamed in front of my parents and friends. Meanwhile, I was called in SSB for a naval entry and also for Indian Coast Guard. I got conference out in that too. After that I cleared AFCAT and CDSE for OTA and got conference out again in both the entries. After getting rejected in 5 times in a row, I started feeling like a loser. I was totally insecure by the fact what would be my future merely with a correspondence degree and a one year training certificate from NDA. Each and every time in my SSB I countered the question on my decision to leave the academy. I was asked why didn't I opt for term back due to medical issues? Interviewers were not convinced if I was really injured. Those who got convinced questioned my body fitness to complete the training in case I will be selected. I was hopeless and started feeling perhaps joining NDA was the worst decision I ever took. I took admission in a regular post graduation course. 

Like all other cadets at National Defence Academy, I was also trained not to give up at any cost. I decided to try again and studied hard for CDSE. My exam was not good as I had attempted limited questions on the GK part. I went in depression and started taking drinks. On the result day one of my friends told me that my roll no. is there in the list of successful candidates in the written examination. I cleared it for IMA and then went for SSB at 19 Service Selection Board, Allahabad. All of my tests went with the same flow. I gave natural responses in psychological tests, my performance in group tasks was normal and I gave the same responses to the same questions in my interview. In the conference I was asked about the saddest day of my life. I told them it was when I was packing my NDA uniform with the fact in my mind that I won't be wearing it again. While I was speaking, I realized there were tears in my eyes. I didn't bother to wipe them there and I was told to leave the room when I completed with my answer. I was sure destiny doesn't want me to join the combat world and I had accepted that. We were told to gather in front of 19 SSB. Total 4 chest numbers were called including mine also.

When the officer told me to take my name and roll no after announcing my chest number, I was completely numbed and shocked. I was lost somewhere and it was the most memorable SSB interview moment for me.

This is a real story of a boy from Delhi. The confessor is currently an officer in Indian Armed Forces.

Kindly share if you like it.

Comments

  1. Truly motivating story,
    Well I also want to add this , I tried for army from my school days but couldn't clear NDA. Gave AFCAT from engineering but couldn't clear SSB. I was screened out 5 times in row, At times people stated teasing me that when you know you can't why the hell do even waste your time and money for SSB but kehte hai Na jab chahiye to chahiye wahi. Again I gave CDS while in job, 2 AFSB Mysore in September 2015, I left my job and had prepared for it, the impossible happened and I got recommended for Navy and Army. Unfortunately got rejected in medicals but learnt a very important lesson that you will only loose when you accept that you have lost it.

    I am in Indian Railways now but somewhere still in my heart I wish if I was medically fit for the forces.

    So if anybody read it fully, You have the patience and grit to do it, don't give up on your dreams because somebody said you can't, just get that one reason to carry on. Contact me anytime for any help on my number
    +91 9738904366

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts